Student Visa (Subclass 500)

About this visa
This is a student visa (SUBCLASS 500) and can be applied for by an overseas student who is enrolled in a course to study in Australia.  You must also have appropriate healthcare provisions by a registered Overseas Student Health Cover provider. This Visa is a temporary one and allows a stay of up to 5 years depending on course duration.

Who is eligible for this visa?

  • You must be 6 years or older
  • If you’re under 18 years of age, you must have adequate welfare arrangements in place for the length of your visa
  • You must meet with health requirements
  • You must meet with character requirements
  • You must show financial capacity for the length of your visa

Proof of Enrolment
You will also need to collect and collate a lot of information together for your visa and one of these documents is the proof of enrolment (CoE) from your educational provider.  You would have received this when you enrolled.  

Health Cover
As stated, your visa will also require you provide proof of OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover).  If you do not have cover, we can help you with advice on which of the Australia Healthcare policy providers would be best suited to your requirements.

Financial Capacity
You, as the applicant are required to show proof of financial capacity for the term of your visa.  This means you must prove that you will have enough money to support yourself for the duration of the visa.  There are many ways in which this can be proven, bank account statements, proof of loans, your spouse or parents providing for you.  We can assist you with all aspects of your application, especially assisting with collation of the documentation to prove financial capacity required to lodge the visa.

Applications will require identification in an approved format. Passport, birth certificate, ID card, CV and anything else that may provide evidence of your identity may be used. If you are uncertain of what documentation you will require, ask us as we specialise in student visas and can give you checklists and guidance.   

Entitlements This visa entitles you to travel in and out of Australia any time whilst the visa is valid. There is also provision within the visa for working, you can work up to 40 hours a fortnight while you study. You may also be able to bring family members with you and can include them in your application.